Sunday, 29 April 2012

ANZAC Day


Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand.  Commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour and remember the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli during World War I.  Now it more broadly commemorates all those who served and died in military operations for their countries.
 Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.
The acronym ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, whose soldiers were known as Anzacs. Anzac Day is one of the most important national occasions in Australia and New Zealand.   An instance of two countries not only sharing the same remembrance Day, but having both countries in its name.

We remember ANZAC Day because so many men and women lost their lives fighting for our  country so that we could remain free.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen
    Thanks so much for submitting your homework via blog. I like that you have noted the changing nature of ANZAC day.

    What did you do this ANZAC day?

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie
      This ANZAC Day I stayed in bed and read all day because I didn't want to go to the parade.
      Helen

      Delete

Thanks for commenting on my Blog. I appreciate comments that can help me improve my learning.